Saturday 30 June 2012

One Hot Week In Boulder !

There is something ironic about riding towards snow capped mountains through 105 degree heat with a thick warm wind blowing sluggishly past you....... Only in Boulder ah! It's been hot here in Boulder, record breaking hot, we have had a week of 100+ degree weather and unfortunately this has brought about a summer of serious fires in Colorado. There are currently 5 fires with the worst been the Waldo Canyon fire which broke through the fire fighting lines on Tuesday night and has incinerated whole communities in Colorado Springs. It is pretty devastating for all those involved. There is an constant presence of helicopters and air force planes circling the flatirons that shadow over Boulder city and you can see them off loading the gallons of water on the flames and smoke as it billows over the top of the mountains. The fact that the flames are visible not just the smoke is enough for me to have mentally packed my back pack and planned my evac route on my bike! Yet none of the locals seem worried at all so I should take my vibe from them! All seems well and safe so far here in Boulder and it looks like it should remain that way thankfully! Boulder has some great water ways and the Boulder creek path was a hive of activity last Saturday, with everyone cooling off, Boulder style of course... Tubing and tight rope walking! I have even been heading up there to cool off, but i can only go waist deep as am not allowed to swim with my stitches yet. Cant wait to be able properly cool off and go for a swim!! Aside from the fires this week has been about starting to ease myself back into little bit's of exercise, (note the lack of the word training, as that is what it is exercise.... focussing on getting moving again,very slowly!) I have managed some short, flat bike rides amongst lots of rest and it has been brilliant to get out again. However I am beginning to question the words of wisdom from my surgeon pre surgery or should I say my gullibleness (is that even a word!) It seems that I appear to have brought into the per surgery sales pitch that I am now beginning to question the validity of.... Statements in questions #1: You will feel better post surgery than you did when you came in. #2: You will be able to go hiking tomorrow if you want ( the day after surgery) #3: You will be back to cycling and running no worries one week post surgery. So........ The verdict thus far is..... I definitely did not have a miraculous fix post surgery. My body seemed to have accumulated copious amounts of fluid and it wobbled like jelly when I walked. I was sore, weak and very stiff.....Nope cant call that much better than before surgery. If you call hobbling around a super market trying to get some food a hike than maybe number two was accurate, personally I don't, It took me a whole week to be able to walk the very flat bike path up to the coffee shop! So I don't know why i even tried to run one week post surgery as after a few steps it was obvious that was not going to happen so soon, but to her credit she appears to be right on the cycling front, so I have been enjoying getting back out on the roads. Its been slow, flat and short but getting some improvements each day so happy with that. The jury is still out on the last statement in question: #4: you will be back swimming no worries 2 weeks post surgery. I am not holding my breath considering the rotation involved to swim successfully...... but it will be nice to get in and cool off so maybe some kicking will be a good place to start!! Anyway despite the frustration of having to recover and regain my strength and fitness after been so fit and strong i feel very blessed to be in such a beautiful place. Boulder is definitely an ideal place to be recovering and easing back into training, despite the very blunt awareness that I miss my family and friends:) Anyways Bring on week 3 and some anticipated improvements, and of course lots of rest and recuperation!! And the excitement of the weekend is that my favorite Boulder coffee shop 'The Cup' is showing the Tour De France everyday live! so considering Callum and I don't have a TV I am stoked!.

No comments:

Post a Comment